Tuesday 18 August 2015

DIY Cake Stand

This weekend I managed to find a wee bit of time to myself! I had an itch for some crafting and I had been planning to make a cake stand for a while. Last Monday I had finally found the plate I wanted to use as the top of the stand after months trawling through charity shops. In the end I found it in Marks and Spencer’s in their Picnicware section, it’s a melamine antique floral dinner plate. The whole range is stunning and durable, which is very handy for butter fingers here. For the base I wanted to use an Edinburgh Crystal champagne saucer that I had picked up in a charity shop to decorate the Christmas table a couple of years ago.
My glass and plate
This is a very simple craft project, all you need is: 
A glass of your choice – any style will work
A plate that is big enough to hold a good sized cake
Super glue
A pencil
Something to cover your work surface

So cover your work surface because the last thing you want to do is super glue something to your dining table, I just used old newspaper. Pop your plate face down on the table and position the base of your glass in the centre and use the pencil to drawer around the edge or it.
Centre the plate
Next carefully open the super glue and gently squeeze the tube around the inside of your pencil outline. Pop the base of the glass back on top of the glue, be very careful at this point as super glue dries very fast and you don’t want a wonky cake stand. I also put a little extra glue around the outside for the glass base for a really strong hold. Leave the glue to cure for at least an hour before moving it, it will take up to 24 hours to dry completely so I’d wait before popping a freshly baked Victoria Sponge on it!
Leave it to dry over night

Once it’s fully dried then flip it over and Tah Dah! you have beautiful and unique cake stand to impress your guests with! I'm totally in love with mine and planning to get my bake on this weekend! 
My finished cake stand 

No comments:

Post a Comment