Tuesday 17 November 2015

Out of the Blue Flea Market

A couple weeks ago I popped along to the Out of the Blue Flea Market at the Drill Hall on Dalmeny Street in Leith. It’s an monthly event with different stall holder each time. It starts at 10am and carries on until 3pm on the last Saturday of the month, 28th of November this month.
Me channeling Lucy from Narnia
I’d been once before a couple years ago with my cousins and now that we are living in Leith I really wanted to go back for a nosy. We turned up at 11am and the Flea Market was in full swing. The Drill Hall was buzzing, the café was busy with folk drinking tea and chatting and we walked through into the main hall past the display cabinets full of local artists work for sale.

There were stalls selling all sorts, from home wares to haberdashery and, my favourite, vintage fashions. As usual I was drawn in by the shiny things and started riffling through boxes of old brooches and necklaces, swooning over the 50’s sewing boxes that we have no room for in our wee flat. Martyn was more interested in the records and petting the dogs that were there.


I like to have a plan with this kind of event, the rules were once around the hall looking but not buying and sussing out sellers, then second time around if it’s still there then it’s meant to be and then you buy, with possible haggling if required.

It took a while to get around the hall as we were chatting to the stall holders (one of them told me I looked like Lucy from Narnia) and having a good rake around the clothes rails. We pick a lovely set of 3 Pyrex dishes from the 70's that had never been used and were still in their original box for a tenner, I nabbed some clip on earrings that I plan making into collar clips and the Ladybird Book about Stamp Collecting for a friend. Martyn grabbed some music equipment and a Soul Jazz Records bag for under £25, he was very chuffed.

Over all it was a resounding success and I'm looking forward to heading back to Out of the Blue for the Vintage Kilo Sale held by Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fairs on the Saturday (21st November). 

Out of the Blue Flea Market - Out of the Blue Drill Hall, 36 Dalmeny St, Edinburgh, EH6 8RG 

No comments:

Post a Comment