Friday 8 April 2016

Date Night - Pera Turkish Mangal & Meze Bar

It's date night again! Mostly because I was so late in posting last month...

I thought as my first date night post was 8 months and 3 pages ago I thought I would do a reminder of the date night rules;

Once a month on or close to pay day.
Must be local (walking distance from the flat).
We take turns on who pays.
When he is paying I choose the location.
When I’m paying he chooses the location.
We never go to the same place twice for date night.

This month we went to went to Pera on Leith Walk, it's a Turkish Mangal and Meze Bar. We popped along last Thurday after a hard days work. I wore my black and floral dress that I picked up in the New Look sale at Christmas time with my purple cardie and my black Mary Janes from Primark (that you cant see in this photo very well but are super comfy and just a bit classier that a basic flat pump). I also had on one of my favorite necklaces that friends bought me for my 30th, it has 3 wee birds on a branch in silver.

Martyn had booked our table for 7pm, we left the flat at 10 minutes to and still had time to pop past Odbins on the walk and pick up a bottle of Casa Lluch Tempranillo 2012, which was recommended by the assistant in there. On arrival we were offered a choice of tables as it was only half full and given our menus, moments later the waitress was back with water for both of us and wine glasses which she pored the wine into for us.

Unsurprisingly being a Mangal (Turkish for Barbecue) there weren't a great selection of vegetarian dishes, there were 2 main courses and some salads that I'd love to try come summer and I think there were a few in the cold meze but there wasn't a menu of when they had. Martyn was in his element. For starters we ordered Sigara Boregi, filo pastry filled with cheese and parsley lightly fried, and  Halloumi and Sucuk, sucuk is a spicy Turkish Sausage. They both came in good time and were beautifully presented. The sucuk was thinly sliced and placed on top of the halloumi and Martyn loved them! My Sigara Boregi was delicious and light, I even shared them with Martyn.

He chose the Chicken Şiş (chicken kebab) and I went with the Vegetarian Kebab - Charcoal BBQ grilled marinated seasonal vegetables & halloumi with a yogurt sauce. It was beautiful! The aubergine melted, the couscous had the most amazing aromatic flavour and the yogurt dip was creamy and gralicky. The only thing that let it down was how little halloumi was on my plate, after the amount in the meaty starter I was a little disappointed to only have one piece on my plate. Martyn devoured his and also agreed that the couscous was delicious. We opted out on desert as we were both pretty full after all of that food!

Over all the place was charming, the waitress was attentive and made sure our wine glasses were never empty and the food was very tasty. I'm not sure I'll be rushing back but I would definitely recommend it to meat eating friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment