Tuesday 14 June 2016

Super Easy Healthy Granola

I've recently started making my own Granola, its super easy, cheaper and much healthier than the stuff you buy in the shops. It took a few attempts but I think I've finally perfected it so I thought I would share my recipe with you all.
 All you need is:
1 cup/85g of Roll Oats, I use own brand basic oats - nothing fancy.
1/2 cup/2 good handfuls of Nuts of your choice - almonds and cashews in this case.
1/4 cup of Seeds - mixed seeds work perfectly.
A good squidge of runny honey, about 2 table spoons.
A splash of boiling water.
Preheat the oven to  180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.

Equipment:
Large mixing bowl
Measuring cups/scales
Whisk
Baking sheet

Grab a nice big bowl, I love my large Joseph Joseph nest bowl for this job, throw in all of your dry ingredients and give them a shoogle (a bit of a mix up).

Squeeze your runny honey all over it, this is the ideal time to have the kettle boiling with a wee bit of water in it.
Have your whisk at the ready for the next step. Pour in the water as soon as it had boiled, you need it to melt the honey a bit. Remember that you can always add more water but you can't take it away! Now get that whisk in and give it a really good mix. I prefer a whisk because I found that the honey would stick to the surface of the spoon and it just doesn't get a chance to stick with the whisk.

All the ingredients should start clumping together that classic granola style, if it's still looking a bit loose then just add a drop more boiling water or some more honey.

Once you are happy with the consistency pour it out onto you baking sheet and spread it out evenly and pop it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. After 15 minutes check on it, I find in my oven that the outer granola tends to cook a bit faster so I give it a wee mix about at this point and pop it in for the last 10-15 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. once it's a nice golden colour pull it out and let it cool and your done.
Top Tips 

I love my granola with Skyr yogurt and fresh fruit normally but for the last week I've been having it with stewed rhubarb from the school garden, its like having rhubarb crumble and cream! 

I have mine with flavoured yogurt and fruit but if you like natural or Greek yogurt you could add cinnamon, ginger or nutmeg to jazz it up.

Keep it in a tub to keep it dry and crisp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment